PowerBlock Classic 50lb Adjustable Dumbbell Set Review
There are so many bodybuilding magazines and supplement web sites giving advice and recommending endless products to gain muscle that it can become confusing, expensive and frustrating. The bottom line is that we just want to achieve a method of training and dieting in a way that perfectly suits us, on an affordable budget, a way that also gives good results in the shortest possible time. The last thing you want is to get confused with what now seems like a science of supplements, it’s just too technical and too scientific which makes it all confusing, ‘A recent study suggested to eat this or that’ or ‘A survey carried out by so and so recommend to do this or don’t do that’, that’s all we ever read these days and personally, we find it annoying, these studies and surveys just keep changing each month when all you want to do is workout, eat correctly, build muscles and gain strength.
Every single weight trainer has their own method of training and their own individual diet, the differences can be very extreme, there is not one specific method. We have asked many weight trainers/bodybuilders what do they eat? We get a different answer each time so it’s obvious that the building of muscle must be kept basic and less confusing, there is no miracle formula to naturally grow muscles very quickly and easily, but there is a basic formula and it’s this that we need to concentrate on. Plenty of sleep, a good protein diet and training hard each muscle correctly equals muscle growth, that is the simplest sentence that describes it all so all we must do is work on this, Eat, Sleep, Train in any order you like and let’s face it the sleep part is easy thus allowing us to focus more on diet and training.
We are all individuals in our genetic build up, this is very important to understand, two people training and eating the same will produce different body shapes, this is not to say one will fail and the other succeed, it purely is our body make up, our genes. The human body can be categorised in to three shapes, Ectomorph (Slim to me and you) Mesomorph (Medium) and Endomorph (Large). The fact that genetically we are all made up differently, built differently with different levels of energy, willpower and motivation makes the task an individual one, most importantly though is that everyone can still make gains, be stronger, have muscle definition and be healthier. Find what works for you, remember what works for one does not always work for others, where some have failed may just work for you. Speaking in training, what do you use to train? While some may pick up the best treadmill, like the Weslo Cadence g 5.9 treadmill, the best elliptical machine like the Schwinn 430 elliptical, the best max climber or spin bike, others are setting with the good old fashioned weights. Without further ado, we’re going to introduce you to our little friends – say hello to Power Block Classic 50 – these are exactly what you need to put in your own home gym today.
Power Block Dumbbells
There are three different series of Power Block dumbbells in production among them Classic Series, the Sport Series and the Urethane Series. Some models are expandable while other are non-expandable. With some models you have the option to purchase add-on kits in order to increase the maximum weight. There are many models to choose from and it takes awhile to understand them all. It is important to take a look at all of the Power Block Dumbbells and make comparisons.
You can begin by buying the Stage I model and the later on purchasing the add-on kit separately. There is also the possibility to purchase your choice of a dumbbell set with add-on kits included in the purchase. The power Block Classic 50 Adjustable Dumbbell Set is part of the range of Power Block’s Classic dumbbells. This is a solidly built kit and one of the earliest versions. Fifty pounds is a way of doing certain exercises like shoulder presses. If you got from this to squats and bench presses then you’ll need additional pounds.
Good Dumbbell Set
The dumbbell set uses the selector pin mechanism to change weights. The selection is automatic, locking down the weights you don’t require onto the tray. The advantage of the pin is that it lets you change weights quickly and keeps up your exercise routine. This allows for 5 pound increments in a range between 10 to 50 pounds. The u-shaped selector pin is made up of plastic and is replaceable when it wears out. The rest of the kit is durable and the adder plates can be replaced if you lose them. It can take rough handling.
This single dumbbell set replaces up to 9 sets of regular dumbbells and Power Block gives you a ten-year warranty. A plus for this dumbbell is that you can expand its weight limit by attaching more weights. After you have lifted up to 50 pounds you can get an expansion kit with heavier plates to add onto the Classic 50 Dumbbell. Keep in mind that the expansion kit must be for this series because they are model specific.
The kit ships with black steel square 0.25/0.5-inch thick weight plates to distinguish them from the other series. It has wrist support so that lifting is more comfortable because you have to reach into the structure to find the padded handle. The set appears bulky and solid. The multicolored rails make it easier to know how much weight you are lifting with just a glance. After your purchase read the manual to know how these rails correspond with the attached chart.
There is a difference between the urethane and the elite model. The urethane model has padding on the grips and the selector is plastic. The elite model doesn’t have padding on the grips but the selector is also plastic. Both weights have a heavy feel to them and the urethane model has color coding to be able to visually tell which weight you’re on.
- There is a weight stand which comes in handy while lifting by giving you a nice height and surface so you can easily pick up the weights. While working out you can use it as a temporary holding area. This comes separately.
- It’s good to have a solid weight bench. With a bench you can effectively build your upper body and strengthen your core with the decline/incline and flat positioning options while working out. You can do bench presses, step ups and tricep extensions more easily. You can get a bench that folds up.
- These dumbbells have rapid adjustment and it takes no more than 2 to 5 seconds to change the weights of the dumbbells. This is a particularly essential feature if you plan on doing a lot of super setting or some kind of cross training.
- The Power Blocks utilize a self-containing storage mechanism, where the dumbbell handle and weights conveniently and compactly fit within each other, reducing the space required to store them.
- The heaviest model for home use is expandable to 125 pounds.
- All Power Block dumbbell models from the lightest to the heaviest are the most compact dumbbells on the market. The smaller size makes the weights easier to control during heavy exercise.
- These dumbbells of sturdy construction. It is still advisable not to drop them but if used normally they will last a long time.
- Depending on the series you choose there are ten year, 15 year and lifetime limited warranties.
- They tend to be relatively expensive.
- Power Block makes several product series and models. The downside is that the components of the different dumbbell sets are incompatible with each other. You won’t be able to modify the weight increments or increase the maximum weight by using extension kits or other parts from different models.
- Power Blocks don’t come standard with a dumbbell stand.
- Power Block dumbbells have a non-traditional design. They’re constructed with pillars at each corner, which surround the handle, giving the dumbbell a cubic shape. Weight brackets are used instead of traditional plates. There are a multitude of colors on their sides.
- The surrounding pillars can interfere with wrist movement and prevent using the traditional grip for dumbbell triceps extensions.
- Power Blocks were not meant for very rough use. It is likely that if they are dropped or thrown about parts can be damaged.
All in all, the Power Block Classic 50 would be a great choice. Everyone should have a nice set of dumbbells in their home gym and you’re no exception to this rule.